[Qgis-user] Is there a limit of loaded files in QGis 1.8 ?

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Jul 19 04:44:14 PDT 2012

 Hi Lorenzo,

 One thing that is worth a try is to use VRT files. See
 http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_vrt.html

 With a vrt file you can combine several files that have the same table
 structure to one virtual file.

 Maybe it is worth a try? I don't know if the same OS limitations apply
 then or not.

 The other option, as others have noted - is to use a database instead -
 which also opens other possibilities besides QGIS.

 Hope this helps,
 Andreas

 On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 01:33:21 +0200, Lorenzo Moretti wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have two big projects with many files, shape, geotiff and dxf
> files.
>
> In one project after loading the file number 64 it is impossible to
> load other files: I have always the error: "This file is not
> recognized". I have to delete some files and I can load other files.
>
> In another big project i have several hundreds small files. After the
> number 220 I have the error. I have to delete some files and I can
> load other files until the limit.
>

> This is a big problem because there are projects with many files and
> I don't know the limit of QGis.
> It is a memory limit, I think.
>
> Is it possible to fix this problem?
>
> Thank in advance