[Qgis-user] Fwd: qgis 1.8 on MAC: Problem with qwt and more

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sun Jul 22 01:07:55 PDT 2012

On 07/21/2012 07:59 PM, Agustin Lobo wrote:
> Has Value tool been eliminated from Qgis? One thing is that it's not
> a part of the core (which I thought it was as it is now in the panels menu and
> not in the plugins menu) and another is that is not part of QGIS.

Hi Agustin,

ValueTool has always been (en still is a python(!) plugin). It
'disappeared' from plugins menu because of a decision a while ago to put
the different python plugins in more logical menu groups (so for
ValueTool in the raster menu).

ValueTool plugin itself is a plugin written by somebody who did not
answer when there was a severe bug in it which made QGIS crash. We then
decided to put the plugin in the new Plugin Infrastructure (site,
sources and issuetracker). I did that, but to be honest I'm not so much
in raster stuff myself, so am not suited as a main maintainer.

As a main user (looking into the mail threads about valuetool :-) ) if
you know somebody (or want to fund somebody) to fix/change things in
ValueTool, please take the (organising) lead.

Another option would be to port the plugin to c++, because if I read in
this thread, apparently there is a compatibility/version issue with
python qwt on mac platform?

Another option would be to port the plugin to c++ (losing the PyQwt
dependency). But here the same: as a heavy user, please organize resources.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde