[Qgis-user] GDAL utf-8 workaround

S. Koukoulas (lists) sotkouklistes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 04:37:37 PDT 2012

hmm.. are we talking about the same problem?
I use Fedora and gdal version 1.9.1-10 in my PC and windows xp in the
lab where I use QGIS 1.8.0 for an introductory course in GIS.

the problem is:
When I load a shapefile with greek encoding other than utf-8 (e.g.
iso8859-7 or wp1253), I can not see the greek characters properly. When
I load an iso8859-7 file, in the properties is set as utf-8 by default.
When I change this to iso8859-7, it does not accept the change (returns
back to utf-8).

As a result I have to load the file (or part of the table and use join
later) in Libreoffice, and save it as utf-8 in order to see greek in qgis.

Also, when I edit a file and write in greek, it does not save it as
greek! (no workaround for this so far!)

So I was referring to this problem, is there any solution? Is this
solved in a newer version of gdal? Would QGIS 1.8.0 work with a newer
version?

As an example  try dowloading the SHP file from
http://geodata.gov.gr/geodata/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=16&sobi2Id=21&Itemid=
and see whether you can read the greek names (nomoi_okhe.shp)

best
sotiris

In my PC, I use :
Linux 3.5.4-1.fc17.x86_64 x86_64
System:  Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle)
KDE:  4.9.2