[Qgis-user] Is there smth wrong with OSGEO4W installer?

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Tue Nov 6 00:13:06 PST 2012

Hi Bernd,

On Tue, 06. Nov 2012 at 01:09:38 +0100, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:
> ermm .. do not wanna sound ungrateful ... but do you think it's "fair"
> letting people run into such traps?

I didn't put the updates of GRASS and GDAL out - and I neither use GRASS, ECW
or MrSid.  So I for one didn't notice right from the start.

> i do not pay for qgis (ok, i do donate as often as i can), but i really
> wasted hours and days tracking these issues and destroyed some projects
> and there was not the slightest warning (i read the list every hour
> though i still think mailing lists are stone age) about something
> possible like this.

Are the bug trackers stoneage to you, too?  You could have found a clue there.
Or even filed a ticket, if you happen to hit that problem first.  We first need
to know that there is a problem, before we can do something about it.

> Maybe i got too adventurous by updating frequently, but since 1.8
> everything went so smooth.

You're welcome. ;)

> "release early, release often" ... who said this ? but maybe do not
> release too early and too often.

Release early, release often for us.  Test and report for you.

> i have no idea about this hole osgeo4w-ecosystem and who puts what and
> when into it and its inner logic, so i don't know who to blame.

In OSGeo4W GDAL is maintained by Frank Warmerdam (but not all the plugins),
GRASS by Martin Landa and QGIS by me.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
committ(ed|ing) to Quantum GIS                         IRC: jef on FreeNode

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden