[Qgis-user] Is there smth wrong with OSGEO4W installer?

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Tue Nov 6 09:35:20 PST 2012

ahh, life is not easy ;)

so, there were already tickets to that stuff it seems, and also mailing
list entries.
But there seems to be a problem with me or the hole system, that i was not
able to find them AND draw conclusions.

1. You have to know what to search for when qgis simply crashes silently
... plop!
2. The amount of entries in both the tracker and the mailing list

"Ordinary" users have really no chance digging through all this tech-talk,
but have a corrupted system anyway.
But i have no real idea how to solve this myself.
Maybe having by a system, where messages can easily be flagged by users
for "importance", so when a thread starts "Hey hello, this update will
kill qgis if you do not set this animal to this version and that beast to
that" its likely that this message will be washed up, even if only few
people have sth to contribute as reply .. i mean, simply that "modern"
stuff that is available out there ...
will spend some time thinking on this ... :)

@Ramon:
> Out of curiousity, does the slightly out of sync mrsid gdal plugin stop
> you using/viewing mrsid files?
> I'm still able to open the ecw files that I have to deal with.

well, no, there was nothing to view, cause qgis crashed when i loaded that
project with the mrsid, same as  when i tried to just load a single mrsid
to an empty project.

--
Bernd Vogelgesang * Siedlerstrasse 2 * 91083 Baiersdorf * +49-9133-825374