[Qgis-user] Is there smth wrong with OSGEO4W installer?

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Tue Nov 6 13:18:20 PST 2012

Am 06.11.2012, 18:50 Uhr, schrieb Etienne Tourigny
<etourigny.dev at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Bernd Vogelgesang
> <bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de> wrote:
>> ahh, life is not easy ;)
>>
>> so, there were already tickets to that stuff it seems, and also mailing
>> list
>> entries.
>> But there seems to be a problem with me or the hole system, that i was
>> not
>> able to find them AND draw conclusions.
>>
>> 1. You have to know what to search for when qgis simply crashes
>> silently ...
>> plop!
>> 2. The amount of entries in both the tracker and the mailing list
>>
>> "Ordinary" users have really no chance digging through all this
>> tech-talk,
>> but have a corrupted system anyway.
>> But i have no real idea how to solve this myself.
>> Maybe having by a system, where messages can easily be flagged by users
>> for
>> "importance", so when a thread starts "Hey hello, this update will kill
>> qgis
>> if you do not set this animal to this version and that beast to that"
>> its
>> likely that this message will be washed up, even if only few people
>> have sth
>> to contribute as reply .. i mean, simply that "modern" stuff that is
>> available out there ...
>> will spend some time thinking on this ... :)
>
> There can be no such system, when bugs are yet unknown.

well, i didn't state that. i just brainstormed about sth that if there are
common problems, they do not get drowned in the masses of email-blubbering.
Otherwise all people affected by a problem would have to send a stupid
mail like "me toooo!", so the thread is always on top in your mail
account, but to the price that you have 90% of "me toooo!"'s and 10% of
helpful text.

My current problem must have started approx. a week ago, and also everyone
installing a new qgis or updating an existing one AND working with at
least mrsid or GRASS must have been affected.

I myself think, that there can't be any system with at least some logic
being less helpful than such
mailing lists, cause they have exactly 0% of extra logic (tagging, rating,
subscribing, flagging all this horrible and too modern 10+x-year-old stuff
no-one here seems to want to touch).

Bernd Vogelgesang * Siedlerstrasse 2 * 91083 Baiersdorf * +49-9133-825374