[Qgis-user] About QGIS on Windows - a follow up.

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Nov 6 14:06:13 PST 2012

Hi Mats,
sorry if I was unclear.

Il 07/11/2012 06:58, Mats Elfström ha scritto:

> Globally, according to
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp, some 84 % run
> Windows flavors, and 5 % are Linux users.
> Surely those numbers merit a little more than a 'favour' for Windows
> users?
If I do something for you, and you do not return anything to me, I call
this a favour. If it's millions of you, it's millions of favours, not
less. Do not misunderstand me: we're happy to do it, and we're happy of
having tons of Windows, as well as OSX and Linux, users.

> Is Linux packaging so easy that 10+ versions can be maintained without
> any effort?
Yes. The effort is comparatively small, and there is more people
contributing.

> And last, who is paying for all the Linux oriented development and
> packaging going on, and do you keep funds separate for Linux and
> Windows work?
We do Linux packaging because we need it.

> I realize that I will be flamed for this, but as I am very fond of
> Open Source and QGIS, I am saddened by the disregard for the majority
> of computer users, many of whom do not even have the option to choose
> their operating system.
It is not disregard: in fact, we *are* doing this favour. If someone
needs a more efficient/fast/whathever process, they are free to help us.
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu