[Qgis-user] About QGIS on Windows - a follow up.

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 14:48:00 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Mats Elfström
<mats.elfstrom at giskraft.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> I am somewhat puzzled by a remark by Mr Paolo Cavallini in another thread.
> The poster there had experienced serious difficulties when updating his
> QGIS.
>
> His main mistake seems to be that he was running Windows, and Paolo wrote:
> Please also remember that Windows packaging involves a tremendous amount
> of effort and skills, and it is being done as a favour for our Windows
> users.
>
> It would be good if someone could pay a developer to work on Windows
> (but also OSX, etc.) packaging.
>
> I'd like to comment on this.
> Globally, according to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp,
> some 84 % run Windows flavors, and 5 % are Linux users.
> Surely those numbers merit a little more than a 'favour' for Windows users?

Agreed that there are many more Windows users than linux users,
however the ratio is *probably* inverted when you only look at users
of open-source software, especially in the GIS world.
This might explain why linux is more of a priority than Windows.  Also
that most devs use linux out of choice (as I do for example).

It would be interesting to know - what is the OS ratio of qgis users?
Is there a way we can collect that information? Package downloads is
not a good metric. How about a poll?

In support of Paolo's arguments - nothing is free and many people do
this out of their free time. And since most devs use linux- you
understand why windows seems less of a priority.

However, for a free project I think QGis is a tremendous success, and
windows packages are quite fine, except for some issues that pop up
once a while.

cheers
Etienne