[Qgis-user] About QGIS on Windows - a follow up.

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Tue Nov 6 16:21:06 PST 2012

Normally i really can't complain about the windows support.
Once you understand what this osgeo4w installer does and how to use it
e.g. for advanced installs, it really works very well.

I think it's much harder for untrained people under linux to get extra
stuff running than with the windows installer.

In this particular case, the packaging was obviously faster than the
testing ... which might be understandably cause of lack of time or
interest in certain functions ... but is a real bummer when you try to
convince people to use this software and one day you have to realize that
projects just don't start anymore.

My biggest problem is, that i wasn't easily able to retrieve informations
about possible causes for the malfunctions.
So for me it's more a communication/information problem than a OS or
whatever problem.

But i think there is a quite easy solution: Like Paolo said: People,
DONATE MORE MONEY!
With extra money, extra things can be done ... simple but true.

The qgis development of the past years is such a success story and there
are so many brilliant people contributing stuff, but the information
infrastructure for the end user could need a bit more loving care ... and
some money could help finding people to do that if voluntary resources
simply aren't enough .

greetz
Bernd

--
Bernd Vogelgesang * Siedlerstrasse 2 * 91083 Baiersdorf * +49-9133-825374