[Qgis-user] About QGIS on Windows - a follow up.

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Tue Nov 6 18:42:54 PST 2012

Hi Mats,

On Tue, 06. Nov 2012 at 22:58:22 +0100, Mats Elfström wrote:
>    I realize that I will be flamed for this, but as I am very fond of Open
>    Source and QGIS, I am saddened by the disregard for the majority of
>    computer users, many of whom do not even have the option to choose their
>    operating system.

IMHO preparing free packages for Linux, OSX, Android and even icky Windows and
giving free support for them can hardly be called "disregard" (eventhough
through old-school channels).

I'm also not aware that any of the available packages are paid work.

Paolo might have overstated a bit - but I can tell you that the Windows
packaging takes more effort than the Debian/Ubuntu packages - I do both.

The windows packages require more effort partly because we also have to deal
with some dependencies, that are less supported on Windows - and come for free
on Linux.  And that's also because FOSS developers of other also tend to use a
free OS and not a proprietary one.   Same situation probably also applies to
the OS X packages.

So supporting "foreign" OSes is indeed an extra effort - and that's also
nothing unique to QGIS.

There are windows packages - so what are your complaining about?

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
committ(ed|ing) to Quantum GIS                         IRC: jef on FreeNode

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden