[Qgis-user] LandScan data

Luciano La Sala lucianolasala at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Nov 14 08:15:19 PST 2012

Hello QGIS users,

I am trying to work with LandScan data in QGIS V. 1.8.0. to estimate
population at risk in areas of Argentina. I download the sample data file
for Haiti to explore how to import and process the data.

The LandScan 2011 Global Population Database comes in the following formats:

1. Raster GIS: ESRI Grid format. [Note: the Spatial Analyst extension for
ArcGIS or ArcView (3.x) is required for analyzing the LandScan data.]
2. HPAC Binary: Hazard Prediction Assessment Capability compressed binary
format.
3. Binary raster: ESRI binary raster format (see included documentation).
Almost any high level programming language can read this file directly.

This is the kind of data you get after downloading the sample dataset, which
presently includes data for Cyprus, available for download at
http://www.ornl.gov/sci/landscan/landscan_sample.shtml

This is what a raster LandScan map should look like:
http://www.ornl.gov/sci/landscan/images/Cyprus_Image.png

However, I could only import grey raster maps of Haiti into QGIS, so far
from what it should look like! Has anyone worked with these type of data
before? If so, any tips on how to proceed? Is there a python plug-in that
replaces LandScan Tools as thay are implemented in ArcMap?

Cheers,

Luciano La Sala