[Qgis-user] QGIS doesn't start anymore: undefined symbol: pj_ctx_alloc

Luís de Sousa luis.a.de.sousa at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 08:43:21 PST 2012

Hello again,

I purged all the gis packages from my system: qgis, grass, mapserver, gdal
and proj. And then started re-installing it again from the repos.

With just proj and gdal installed I get the same error:

$ gdalinfo
gdalinfo: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgdal.so.1: undefined symbol:
pj_ctx_alloc

Apparently there is something broken either with gdal or proj at the repos.
Nothing to do QGis, but in fact with the latest packages versions, it is not
possible to run QGis in Ubuntu 12.04.

I have reported this in the GDAL list and so far got 0 replies. If any one
here can help a bit further with this I would appreciate.

Thank you once more.