[Qgis-user] How to generate (vector)contour lines for point data?

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Mon Oct 1 06:16:25 PDT 2012

On 10/01/2012 06:50 AM, AJAY KUMAR MULAKALA wrote:
> Dear sir,
>
> Suggest me how to generate contour lines for a point data (particular
> to generate contour lines about an attribute information of point data)

You will need two steps. First use the points to create a raster
surface. In the Raster menu, choose Analysis->Grid. With this GDAL tool
you can create a raster using some simple algorithms. THen using this
new raster as your surface, use the GDAL tool
Raster->Extraction->Contour to get vector contour lines.

(Note that if you switch to the GRASS plugin, there are more
interpolation algorithms available, especially "regularized spline"=rst,
for creating the surface raster)

Regards,
Micha

> Regards,