[Qgis-user] labels on maps

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Mon Oct 1 08:48:54 PDT 2012

On 10/01/2012 04:40 PM, M.E.Dodd wrote:
> converted from rtf
> I have a map with lots of point data which I want to label.  When
> switching on labels lots of them end up on top of each other as some
> of the points are close to each other.  Is there a way of
> automatically spacing the labels out to avoid overlap with a line
> going to the point from the label. Alternatively a way of doing this
> by hand just by dragging each of the labels out of the way but
> automatically generating a line showing where the associated point is.

You'll want to use the new labeling engine for this. You add, in
advance, two columns to your point data attribute table for x
displacement and y displacement, and specify these columns in the
labeling "Data defined settings" tab. Then you can move each label
individually (while the layer has editing enabled), and it's location
will be saved to the table.

> --
> The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an
> exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland
> (SC 038302).

Micha Silver
GIS Consultant, Arava Development Co.
http://www.surfaces.co.il