[Qgis-user] QGIS not accepting valid Proj.4 data for CRS

jch at caltech.edu jch at caltech.edu
Fri Oct 26 23:49:15 PDT 2012

I'm trying to add one of the Albers equal area conic USA/North american
projections as a user defined/custom CRS.

QGIS 1.8.0 on Linux-Ubuntu.

I went through every version on spatialreference.org/ but after entering
the parameters (ie, +proj=aea +lat_1=29.5 +lat_2=45.5 +lat_0=37.5
+lon_0=-96 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +ellps=GRS80 +datum=NAD83 +units=m +no_defs ), it
still shows * of 0, and hitting the save button does nothing.  There is no
error message however, unless I go down below and hit 'calculate', then it
tells me that the proj4 definition is not valid.

I went through all the permutations on spatialreference.org, and tried
defining my own, but could not get QGIS to accept any of them

I then went into the QGIS set projection dialog, and copied what I know is
a valid proj4 definition, and tried to use it define a custom coordinate
system and the custom definition dialog would still accept the known valid
definition.

Any hints on getting one of these defined?  The given Albers-California
may be close enough, but I'd like to at least be able to compare to a
custom North American projection.

Thanks,

Janet