[Qgis-user] Drawing ellipses

Raymond Nijssen r.nijssen at terglobo.nl
Mon Sep 3 02:38:36 PDT 2012

For a research project I need to draw ellipses on top of a polygon map
based on a width and height field in my table. I was really happy to
find out that QGIS has this functionality. Unfortunately I don't get it
to work.

I managed to draw the polygons and draw ellipses on top of them, using
two rules (rule based symbology). I use the "centroid fill" with an
"ellipse marker". The marker initially has a fixed size (4x3) but I like
to set these by two fields in the "data defined settings" tab. I can
choose the fields, but their values do not overrule the 4x3 standard
settings.

Can anybody verify this behaviour or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I'm using:

QGIS version

1.8.0-Lisboa

QGIS code revision