[Qgis-user] vector export (pdf/ps/svg): most promising approach?

Peter Schürch p.schuerch at meierpartner.ch
Mon Sep 3 04:20:42 PDT 2012

Dear List
I'm trying to work out what the most reliable and efficient workflow is to export a print layout to a vector format (pdf, ps or svg, I don't care as long as it works).
I have a map with a raster image in the background and a three vector layers on top of it (2 x points, 2 x lines) with no more than 30 objects in each layer. The print layout is an A3 landscape.
A few days ago the map exported to pdf without problems (size exported 11 MB). Since then I have added two vector layers and now the print composer crashes with the "bad allocation" error. I have tried pdf and svg, same error. I haven't updated QGIS.

What are your experiences with vector export?
Can anyone share a reliable workflow that consistently produces correct vector output?
Would it make a difference if I installed ghostscript to export to a postscript file?

Many thanks for your ideas on this subject.

Peter

OS: Windows 7 (64 Bit, 4 GB RAM)
QGIS-Version
1.8.0-Lisboa