[Qgis-user] vector export (pdf/ps/svg): most promising approach?

. digitalmaps at cox.net
Mon Sep 3 05:41:40 PDT 2012

On 9/3/2012 6:20 AM, Peter Schürch wrote:
> Dear List
> I'm trying to work out what the most reliable and efficient workflow is to export a print layout to a vector format (pdf, ps or svg, I don't care as long as it works).
> I have a map with a raster image in the background and a three vector layers on top of it (2 x points, 2 x lines) with no more than 30 objects in each layer. The print layout is an A3 landscape.
> A few days ago the map exported to pdf without problems (size exported 11 MB). Since then I have added two vector layers and now the print composer crashes with the "bad allocation" error. I have tried pdf and svg, same error. I haven't updated QGIS.
>
> What are your experiences with vector export?
> Can anyone share a reliable workflow that consistently produces correct vector output?
> Would it make a difference if I installed ghostscript to export to a postscript file?
>
> Many thanks for your ideas on this subject.
>
> Peter
>
> OS: Windows 7 (64 Bit, 4 GB RAM)
> QGIS-Version
> 1.8.0-Lisboa
> QGIS-Codeversion
> 6416f38
>
> --
> Meier und Partner AG
> Freiestrasse 26
> 8570 Weinfelden
>
> Tel +41 71 626 51 15
> Fax +41 71 626 51 26
> p.schuerch at meierpartner.ch

I export each layer one at a time and then import them into the final
.svg. You should have a reference mark to position and scale them if
that becomes necessary. For really complex output some manual
composition will be necessary (ie. text and symbols).

What? Did you think you could come and go like the wind?