[Qgis-user] NViz not starting

Jonathan Webb jonathan at jwebbgis.co.uk
Thu Sep 20 01:37:21 PDT 2012

Hi,
I'm exploring QGIS, having used ArcGis & MapInfo for years, but am
having trouble. PC is Win XP SP3 32bit.

I'm getting a problem with NVIZ - it won't start, with a message about
not finding init.tcl etc.  There is an amount about this on the web but
it is either too technical/not clear enough for me, or unresolved.

One answer was to ensure that TCL was installed through OSGeo4W so I
uninstalled/deleted as much of QGIS etc as I could find, then run two
registry cleaners several times before restarting & downloading
OSGeo4W.exe which also appears to have installed QGIS etc.

Things looked hopeful when I clicked on the MSys & OSGeo4W links as I
received no error messages. But I still get the same NVIZ error message.

Are there any log files I should look for?

I've looked in nviz2.2_script which appears to be invoked by NViz & also
one of the init.tcl in various folders, but can't work out anything from
these.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks
Jonathan