[Qgis-user] Can't add kml-file to QGIS

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Thu Sep 20 08:14:37 PDT 2012

Am 20.09.2012 14:06, schrieb Johan Nilsson:
> I have exported some track-logs from a Android app called *'GPS-Essential'* and
> I can add them to Google map and to Google Earth. But when I triy to add
> (Layer-->Vector Layer to QGIS i get this message:
>
>   /home/joni/GIS/GPSE/kml/Track-09_19_12 11_42_21.kml is not a valid or
> recognized data source

Can you open the file with a text editor?
Qgis does not like folders with mixed content (points, lines and/or
polygons). Furthermore, <ExtendedData> tags can not be read.

> Are there any other tools to convert to for instance shape-files.
> GPS-Essential save their data in a sqlite-file, so I can export from
> asql-manager to. I don't know how I open a sqlite db in QGIS either.

Just as simple as Add new spatialite layer, if it is a spatialite sqlite
database. Otherwise it would be a non-spatial layer. You can try Qgis DB
Manager to look inside the database.

Has GPS-Essential any other output options? I would assume GPX, beeing
standard in GPS data exchange. At least Google Earth does IIRC.

Greetings,
André Joost