[Qgis-user] Measuring unit of $lenght / Unidad de medida de $lenght

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Sep 20 09:43:17 PDT 2012

On 09/20/2012 09:30 AM, Pablo Schweitzer wrote:
> Hola
>
> When calculating the length of a line layer ($ lenght), a segment is
> measured as 0.0599837538499966, but using the measuring tool is 5.8 km.
> Obviously somewhere I have a configuration problem with the unit of
> measurement of the $ lenght. Could anyone guide me how to make length measured
> in miles? (obviously I can make the value is $ lenght x 100 but is not the
> idea)
>
> Cuando calculo el largo de una capa de líneas ($lenght), a un segmento lo
> mide como de 0.0599837538499966, pero si uso la herramienta medir is 5,8km.
> Evidentemente en algún lugar tengo un problema de configuración con la
> unidad de medida de la función $lenght. ¿Alguien podría orientarme como
> hacer para que length mida en km? (obviamente puedo hacer que el valor sea
> $lenght x 100 pero no es la idea)
>
> Gracias
>
> Pablo

The $length calculation is using the native units of the projection (a
guess), the Measure Tool is converting to more human readable measurements.

You can change between metric and feet in the project properties or QGIS
options if you want to get miles. Just look for the measure units
choices. I'm not sure if this will change the results of the calculator,
for that you might need to multiply by the conversion factor yourself as
part of the formula.

Thanks,
Alex