[Qgis-user] List protocol

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Fri Sep 21 06:48:57 PDT 2012

Hence my wording of "gently but firmly". Peer pressure never hurts, but
scolding and yelling does.
I too have seen far too many flamings due to "religious list-wars" and I
also feel that it does make newbies too scared to post.

But I was suggesting the gentle approach, because conforming to some
form of etiquette (should) never hurt anyone.

Also, I don't really care if my suggestion to adopt a list protocol is
taken or not - I was merely voicing my observations.

Have a good weekend.
Zoltan

On 2012/09/21 15:41, David Fawcett wrote:
> I think that in this day and age, people who need help with QGIS (or
> anything else) come with the tools that they are using.  Whether
> someone top or bottom posts really just depends on what their email
> client does by default.
>
> Most people out there that are new to OpenSource projects, the people
> that we want to court and support have never even heard of the
> religious wars of top vs bottom and are certainly not consciously
> choosing one over the other.  On other lists recently, I have seen
> several people scolded for top posting.  I just cringe because if I
> was them, I would leave and find a different project or (a friendly
> proprietary software salesman... )
>
> David.
>
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 3:13 AM, Zoltan Szecsei
> <zoltans at geograph.co.za <mailto:zoltans at geograph.co.za>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>     While we are debating list language, should we not also debate
>     list protocol - like are we a top or bottom posting list?
>     I tend to post according to the posting style to the message I am
>     responding to.
>
>     If you look at the recent top-post to a "bottom-post" message
>     thread on the Spanish language debate, you'll see what I mean:
>     Three "bottom posts, then all of a sudden a top post that directly
>     references the last (bottom) post.
>
>     It just gets messy, and as this list grows, we should perhaps
>     consider gently but firmly adhering to jointly agreed upon
>     protocols  -  including of course the famous (to all lists)
>     thread-hijacking topic.
>
>     Regards to all,
>
>     Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za