[Qgis-user] Starting QGIS

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Mon Sep 24 15:35:29 PDT 2012

Actually, i forgot everything about ArcGIS and i'm not really eager to
relearn it ;)
So, from your explanations i assume, that you want to construct
rectangular polygons, right?

In this case, you might proceed like this (a "little" more work than in
E$RI software, i fear)

you will have three layers for this:
- a line layer for your base lines
- a "CadLayer Lines" created from the CAD Tools automatically for your
parallel lines
- your final polygon layer

I assume, you have a starting point you already know.

Make your line layer editable and draw your first line, using the button
added by the improved polygon capture plugin to the digitizing toolbar
with your desired lenght. Lets take your example with 6 meters.

Then you need to have installed Cd Tools, which adds a huge toolbar.

Here, you have now to select a button which says "select one line segment"
and select with the red crosshairs your created line.
I encountered a problem, that it wasn't able to select my first line, so i
saved the changes in the line layer with the disc symbol and then it
worked.
After selecting your base line, it turns red.
Now you can select the next button to the right "Create parallel line"

When clicking it, a form pops up asking you for "Fixed length" which
obvious means the distance to your selected segment. Choose 10 there.

The new layer CadLayer Lines is now in your TOC with the new parallel line
feature.

Now, you will have to edit your snapping options to be able to produce a
correct polygon an the basis of your two lines:
Go to Settings -> Snapping Options

Check the boxes in front of your line and of the CadLayer, select "Vertex"
and give a snapping threshold for e.g. 1 m
You should also check the box "enable topological editing".

Now activate your polygon layer and make it editable. With the snapping
options set, you can now simply draw your polygon over the four end
vertices of the line.

You are done.

In case you are really beginning to work with qgis at the moment, i advise
you to make some crucial settings in the options beforehand, otherwise you
will run into strange things:

Settings -> Options -> Tab CRS:
Check "Enable 'on the fly reprojection' by default"
Use the next "Select..." button to choose your most common coordinate
system

in the next section, select "Prompt for CRS", so that you will be asked
for each new layer in which CRS it should be set up (in this case the
automatic CADLayer, which would otherwise be in WGS84 if you do not change
that setting, and would mess everything up, cause your values in meter
would than be degrees!)

Hope this is what you actually want to do, otherwise .. well .. it was a
nice training for me.

P.S
There is some plugin called "Intersect It" which constructs circles around
points and can so stuff with that, but i couldn't quicky figure out what
it actually does and how. But it also adds additional layers for the
circles and the points ...)