[Qgis-user] struggling with postgresql

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Apr 6 08:52:11 PDT 2013

On Apr 6, 2013, at 5:00 AM, Jesus Munoz Serrano wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Sorry for asking about postgresql here. Maybe is not adequate at all but since I want it for spatial uses I thought it could be relevant. I've been researching a lot on the internet but I couldn't solve the issue.
>
> I've installed the postgres.app and pgadmin III on my computer and I'm trying to create a database on the terminal (I know I can do it on pgAdmin III but I would like to learn the terminal way as well) and every attempt looks unsuccessful.
>
> I have change my path to use the postgress.app instead the built one through:
>
> 			PATH="/Applications/Postgres.app/Contents/MacOS/bin:$PATH"
>
> First, when I enter 	$ psql	in the terminal it returns:
>
> 			psql: FATAL:  role "xusto" does not exist      (where xusto is my system username)
>
> Researching on the web I found that is due to conflict between both copies of postgresql and that I have to connect via:
>
> 			psql -h localhost -U postgres
>
> So far so good. When I enter this command it returns me the following:
>
> 				psql (9.0.10, server 9.1.8)
> 				WARNING: psql version 9.0, server version 9.1.
>     						     Some psql features might not work.
> 				Type "help" for help.
>
> 				postgres=#
>

> Even with the warning message I understand that I'm connected to postgresql. Nonetheless, when I enter 	"CREATE DATABASE mydb" it doesn't return anything.
>
> Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Indeed this is all just a Postgres question.  Better to ask in appropriate postgres discussion places.

I have not used either Apple's bundled Postgres or the EnterpriseDB Postgres (I think that's what the Postgres.app is).  Another place to ask is EnterpriseDB (if that's what you have installed).

> Also I wanted to ask how can I do it to install the PostGIS?

Also a question better for another list - PostGIS user.  But a quick answer:

If you are running Apple's Postgres server, then you must compile PostGIS yourself (see postgis list and docs).  If you are running EnterpriseDB Postgres server, I think they have a built extension to install.  You'd have to ask them.