[Qgis-user] struggling with postgresql

Jesus Munoz Serrano jesusmunozserrano at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 03:00:46 PDT 2013

Hi everybody,

Sorry for asking about postgresql here. Maybe is not adequate at all but since I want it for spatial uses I thought it could be relevant. I've been researching a lot on the internet but I couldn't solve the issue.

I've installed the postgres.app and pgadmin III on my computer and I'm trying to create a database on the terminal (I know I can do it on pgAdmin III but I would like to learn the terminal way as well) and every attempt looks unsuccessful.

I have change my path to use the postgress.app instead the built one through:

			PATH="/Applications/Postgres.app/Contents/MacOS/bin:$PATH"

First, when I enter 	$ psql	in the terminal it returns:

			psql: FATAL:  role "xusto" does not exist      (where xusto is my system username)

Researching on the web I found that is due to conflict between both copies of postgresql and that I have to connect via:

			psql -h localhost -U postgres

So far so good. When I enter this command it returns me the following:

				psql (9.0.10, server 9.1.8)
				WARNING: psql version 9.0, server version 9.1.
    						     Some psql features might not work.
				Type "help" for help.

				postgres=#

Even with the warning message I understand that I'm connected to postgresql. Nonetheless, when I enter 	"CREATE DATABASE mydb" it doesn't return anything.

Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Also I wanted to ask how can I do it to install the PostGIS?

Sorry again and thank you very much!

- jesus