[Qgis-user] Event layer plugin linear referncing

Steve Morgan steve.morgan1 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 7 12:04:26 PDT 2013

I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this is mis-directed.  I recently
downloaded and tried to use the above plugin from the Qgis repository but am
having problems so I'm hoping someone out there can help.  I didn't see any
help files with the plugin so I sent a message to the author Mr. Batlogg but
I'm not sure if that'll get through as he's not the maintainer so I thought
I'd ask here as well in case someone has used this plugin.  It looks really
neat but I can't get it to work.  Transcript of my message describing the
issue is
My use case is very simple as follows:

    I have a shp file (ROUTES.shp) representing road segments which are a
layer within QGIS.  Each segment has a ROUTE_NAME attribute.   I wish to
create points along these segments where EVENTS occur.
    The EVENTS are contained in a  csv file with a ROUTE_NAME and MILEPOINT
column.  The csv file contains a row for each event that occurs, each having
a ROUTE_NAME and MILEPOINT column.  The MILEPOINT values correspond to a
mileage measurement along the ROUTES geometry as in mile measurements.

Based on my understanding of the architecture of QGIS which is 2.5D, it has
no support for a true "M" attribute and hence your plugin relies on the
z-coordinate for the "M".  If that is the case then I suspect that perhaps
I've not correctly set the z coordinate within the shp file but I see no way
within QGIS to review or adjust it.  I believe it is set since I can export
data as kml and the z coordinate appears to be the desired "M" as the length
is depicted as an elevation.  Perhaps this is the root of my problem.

My other assumption is that a shp is satisfactory for the Line Layer and a
csv acceptable for the Event Layer.  If that's OK then perhaps there is a
sensitivity to attribute formatting (ie integer, string, etc) that I've
overlooked.

I noticed the plugin has been downloaded quite a few times so I hope
somebody here may be able to help.  Any pointers on this would be greatly
appreciated and, again, forgive me if this is not appropriate.

Best Regards,
Steve Morgan