[Qgis-user] problem with --snapshot option in 1.8

Jason Paul Joines jason at joines.org
Fri Apr 19 11:44:24 PDT 2013

    I'm using Quantum GIS 1.8.0-Lisboa on Kubuntu 12.04.2.  I've just
started working through the User Guide and am at the --snapshot explanation.

    I had a session up and running with the landcover.img and lakes.gml
files loaded from sample data, then tried "qgis --snapshot
snapshot000.png" from a separate terminal window which fired up a new
QGIS session and made a PNG of an empty white background.

    Then I saved my project, closed QGIS and tried "qgis --project
userguide.qgs --snapshot snapshot001.png".  That resulted in less than a
second of my project being displayed followed by a white background
session and the mouse pointer spinning around in waiting mode.  After
several minutes, I killed the session and tried again.  It hangs each time.

    Then I opened my project interactively again and used the File -->
Save as Image... to create the snapshot which worked just fine.

    I thought displaying Tool Tips at startup might be causing the
problems so I disabled that but no luck.  Then I disabled showing the
logo with "qgis --nologo --project userguide.qgs --snapshot
snapshot001.png" but the session still hangs each time without creating
a snapshot until I kill it.

    Any ideas?

Jason