[Qgis-user] Edit MapInfo TAB files

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 04:30:52 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM, jamiecook
<jamie.cook at veitchlister.com.au> wrote:

> Sponsoring that development within GDAL/OGR is a very good idea.
> Paolo Cavallini wrote
>> Il 26/03/2012 11:48, Fischer, Andreas ha scritto:
>>> Maybe the library will be extended to allow editing TAB-files in future.
>>> It would make things much more easier for me, since I can't really get
>>> rid of TAB-files yet.
>
> We're currently evaluating QGIS as a partial replacement for MI and would
> potentially be interested in such sponsorship. Questions I have are the
> regular type - how much, how long, who to talk to?

If you are planning to use Mapinfo TAB with QGIS you should be aware
of possible slowness on Windows when files are opened over Windows
network. Basically the same problem as described for shapefile:
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/6448

Shortly, if OpLock is broken, OGR Mapinfo driver reads 512 bytes
blocks and VSI cache does not help for some strange reason.

Don't get frightened, we know about it and we are working on that problem.

The problem should also be taken into consideration if OGR Mapinfo TAB
driver is going to be improved/extended. It should use some buffered
I/O, I am not sure if VSI cache is suitable enough to be used for
buffered I/O, in any case it does not yet support writing.

Radim