[Qgis-user] Information on NextGIS mobile or alternatives

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 07:52:07 PDT 2013

Hi Andreas,

2013/7/12 Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net>:
> * Is there any information around how to configure/customize the app?

Yes, but currently only in Russian (Google translate available) [0]

> * How can I introduce my own categories?

Sure. Just connect your device to PC and copy file
Android/data/com.nextgis.mobile/files/categories.xml to PC and then
edit it. This is simple XML file with next structure

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<categories>
<category name="category-1">
<subcategory name="subcategory-1"/>
<subcategory name="subcategory-2"/>
</category>
<category name="category-2">
<subcategory name="subcategory-1"/>
<subcategory name="subcategory-2"/>
</category>
<!-- add button to add custom subcategory -->
<category name="custom"/>
</categories>

> * Can I bring in my own data/QGIS project somehow?

Yes again.Just use QTiles plugin to create ZIP with tiles from your
project. Then upload this archive to the osmdroid folder on SD card
or device memory.

You can have several archieves in this folder in same time.

> * Can I work in my own projection system?

Not sure about this, but I think even if this function is unavailable it
can be added easily. Maybe you can ask NextGIS people directrly
using contact form [1]

Hope this helps a bit.

[0] http://gis-lab.info/qa/nextgis-mobile.html
[1] http://nextgis.ru/en/contact/