[Qgis-user] OSM plugin encoding problem

Nicholas Klein-Baer nlk22 at humboldt.edu
Sat Mar 9 21:20:46 PST 2013

Hi,

I'm using the OSM plugin for qGIS to convert some .osm data to
shapefiles. The .osm data in question has cyrillic characters in some
the tags, but when I save as a shapefile something seems to be going
wrong: The cyrillic characters all appear as question marks in the
resulting attribute table. I've tried specifying the encoding as UTF-8
in the 'save vector layer as ...' dialog box (this is the encoding
system used by OSM, correct?) but it doesn't seem to help.

Thanks,
Nick