[Qgis-user] OSM plugin encoding problem

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Sun Mar 10 06:15:47 PDT 2013

Am 10.03.2013 12:57, schrieb Borys Jurgiel:
>> EDIT:
>> I just saw that there is a brandnew "Shapefile Encoding Fixer" plugin
>> available for qgis. I haven't tried it yet, but it might be what you want.
>
> The plugin helps in most cases by fixing broken encoding *declaration*.
> However, it won't help if also the encoding (not only its declaration) is
> broken. It's strange the ENCODING=UTF-8 in the SaveAs dialog didn't work. I
> Did you put it to the layer or datasource option? I don't remember which place
> is right, so I put it to both :)

Neither of both: I wrote
SET SHAPE_ENCODING=UTF-8
into the qgis.bat file, so that it is loaded as a system variable. That
was the only way it worked for me. But with QGIS master nad next stable
that problem is fixed anyhow. There was some kind of misunderstanding
between GDAL and QGIS developers in how and who should do the encoding.

Greetings,
André Joost