[Qgis-user] Map graticules in QGIS

Lester Anderson arctica1963 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 15:49:04 PDT 2013

On 10 March 2013 22:22, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:

> On 03/10/2013 03:13 PM, Lester Anderson wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The one major element missing from the otherwise great Quantum GIS, is
>> that
>> of easy setup map graticules. There is a basic way of doing simple ones in
>> the print composer which is fine for geographic (WGS84) or UTM etc type
>> projections, but will not work for conic or stereographic etc.
>>
>> Is there a plugin for doing this work (that is built-in to layout mode in
>> ArcGIS) or is this an upgrade/update that will be available in a new
>> release?
>>
>> Generating a vector grid does not work properly in 1.8.0, and certainly
>> only partially completes a Polar Stereographic layout. There are clearly
>> flaws that need to be addressed. If there is a reliable workaround for
>> this, it would be good to know.
>>
>> Lester
>>

> A workaround is to make the graticule in WGS84 and reproject it to the
> desired end projection. I found that it doesn't curve well so I wrote this
> script to make graticules with a higher points density that projects well.
>
> https://github.com/**wildintellect/pyGraticule<https://github.com/wildintellect/pyGraticule>
>
> I hope to work it into QGIS at a later point, but you can use it
> standalone with python to make what you need, import and reproject.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Hi Alex,

I have tried the route you suggested. I am working on Antarctic data, so
generated a vector grid for 0-360 in X (at 10 degrees) and latitude (-90 to
-60) in 10 degrees. That all worked fine in WGS84. However, reprojecting to
Antarctic Polarstreographic did not project correctly with less than half
the meridians and no latitudes.

Cheers
Lester