[Qgis-user] Map graticules in QGIS

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Mar 11 08:48:03 PDT 2013

On 03/11/2013 12:18 AM, Lester Anderson wrote:
> On 11 March 2013 00:54, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:

>> ones in

>> in

>> clearly

>> this
>> well.

>> https://github.com/wildintellect/pyGraticule>

>>> Hi Alex,
>>>
>>> I have tried the route you suggested. I am working on Antarctic data, so
>>> generated a vector grid for 0-360 in X (at 10 degrees) and latitude (-90
>>> -60) in 10 degrees. That all worked fine in WGS84. However, reprojecting
>>> Antarctic Polarstreographic did not project correctly with less than half
>>> the meridians and no latitudes.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Lester
>>>

>> This will probably get stripped from the list but I've attached a shp I
>> made that should be what you need. Let me know if you need me to upload
>> it to server for download.
>>
>> Note projection on the fly has some odd bug that makes 180/-180
>> disappear, I've not spent enough time to figure out what that is.
>>
>> What I did:
>> Used my pyGraticule script modified to go from -90,1
>> Reprojected to Polar EPSG:3031 as a shapefile
>>
>> I'm trying to remember how I did
>> http://geography.ucdavis.edu/image/499
>> If I remember I'll post some more details.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>>

>> Hi Alex,
>
> That worked very well. I had a look at the Python script and I note that it
> generates a GeoJSON format file. How do you convert to a shapefile?
>
> Hopefully something along the lines of the script will be built in to QGis,
> the OTF reprojection of somethings does fall over.
>
> Cheers
> Lester

I opened it in QGIS, then did a file Save As... shp in the new projection.

I tried re-projecting the geojson to geojson and it didn't render right
either. So I think I've found a bug in the projection tool or renderer.
I'll note that it's happened to me with Geotiff too, polar projection
ends up looking like pacman.

Thanks,
Alex