[Qgis-user] Buffer with qgis : wgs84/mercator world?

Stéphane Henriod s at henriod.info
Fri May 10 03:46:10 PDT 2013

Hi

I assume there is a misundersanding. I guess Jo assumed that your data is
stored in a PostGIS database, which is why he advised to cast the
coordinates as GEOGRAPHY.

As you seem to be working with shapefiles, this actually doesn't concern
you.

I would project my data into pseudo-mercator (EPSG:3857) in order to have
meter-based coordinates. But I am not sure it will give you the most
accurate resutls (don't know how it distorts the surface).

How precise does your buffer need to be? If you work on such a small scale
(Berlin - Beijing). I would assume that you don't really care about small
distortions, do you?

Cheers

Stéphane

--
"Le mot progrès n'aura aucun sens tant qu'il y aura des enfants malheureux"
-- Albert Einstein

"A journey does not need reasons. Before long, it proves to be reason
enough in itself. One thinks that one is going to make a journey, yet soon
it is the journey that makes or unmakes you." -- Nicolas Bouvier

Photos de voyages, photos de montagne: http://www.henriod.info