[Qgis-user] Short(er)cut to Field Calculator or alternate technique?

Jeffrey Durrence jeffrey.durrence at mcleanengineering.com
Tue May 14 12:25:42 PDT 2013

Hi,

One of my most frequent needs is to visually identify and select groups of vector objects and assign attribute values to these groups.  Here's my typical work flow...

1.  Select multiple items (point and click multiple, polygon, rectangle, etc)
2.  Go to layer attribute table
3.  Select field calculator
4.  Within field calculator, choose "only update selected features" and "update existing field."  Enter the value and apply.
5.  Close the attribute layer (if I don't take this step, I spend lots of time waiting on the attribute table's display to update with my new attribute values).
6.  Save the layer
7.  Return to step 1

I could save myself a good bit of time if there was a direct shortcut to the field calculator from the main qgis display.  The only reason that I'm opening the attribute table now is to reveal the shortcut to the field calculator.

Is there a way to start this tool from the main qgis window without opening the attribute table?  I've looked around, but I can't find a way to do this.

Thanks for your help,

Jeffrey

My platform...
Ubuntu 12.04 64 Bit,