[Qgis-user] rasterize points and distance problem ?

Falk Huettmann fhuettmann at alaska.edu
Tue May 21 10:55:37 PDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I have a question in qgis (PC) we cannot resolve:

we have a point data set (shapefile projected) and want to rasterize
it for a distance estimate.

But in qgis, and doing all steps as requested, just brings us a plain grey
canvas/grid (large minus values).
We cannot see any points within, and for the next step (=> distance measure
from these points).

This should be trivial, but we lost now over  a week because of this, and
we see no good
solution anywhere (presumably it is due to extent and pixel scale but we
tried changing
settings there and had no luck. We also changed the projections without
success. We added a column for the 1 id).

Any help would be highly appreciated; THANKS.
(we can send you the point data, or would be happy learning from a dataset
that actually works, too).

Thanks so much in advance for any pointers

    Falk Huettmann & Co.

PS I assume doing point overlays (=drill down, intersect, extraction) is
easy, but for any input there  we would be helpful also.