[Qgis-user] Could not load pyqgis -- qgis.core.module not using API v9.0, requires v8.1

Neil Redgate nredgate at ndres.co.uk
Fri May 31 08:18:42 PDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-05-31 at 14:47 +0200, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Il 31/05/2013 13:42, Neil Redgate ha scritto:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am writing in the hope that someone can advise me as to how I can resolve the
> > problem that I have.
> >
> > My setup-
> > OS: Debian, testing (Jessie)
> > QGIS: 1.8 (wheezy) and [on a separate machine] 1.9 master (nightly build)
> > Python: 2.7.5
> > GCC: 4.7.3
> >
> > Following recent upgrades of (I believe these are the relevant packages) -
> > python-sip: 4.14.6-1
> > python-qt4: 4.10.1-1
> >
> > when I launch QGIS, I get the following error message regarding pyqgis with both QGIS
> > versions
> >
> > Couldn't load PyQGIS.
> > Python support will be disabled.
> >
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "", line 1, in
> > RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v9.0 to v9.2 but the qgis.core module
> > requires API v8.1
>
> yes, I had a symmetrical problem (see qgis-dev ML). Please upgrade qgis, or downgrade
> python-sip.
> All the best.

Hi Paolo,

Very many thanks for your quick reply.

I think I would prefer to upgrade qgis rather than downgrade python-sip
as the downgrade may result in other package downgrades which may affect
other packages.
I have already upgraded to qgis v1.9 through the nightly builds (sid)
and still have the same problem.

Is there a higher version available for downloading onto a Debian
distribution?
The QGIS download page refers to v1.8 as being the current version.
Googling for a v2 download produces no sites
There are many references to qgis v2 on the qgis-developers mailing list
but I cannot find any downloads for this. The messages on the developers
mailing list suggest that v2 is due to be released in the near future

Could you point me in the right direction to download v2 please?

very many thanks,
Neil

--
Neil Redgate