[Qgis-user] Which port does qgis use to connect to wms, wfs, ... plugin repository?

Jonathan Moules jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Wed Oct 16 00:02:40 PDT 2013

It'd be inclined to agree with Richard that it's a proxy issue. Your
web-browsers are almost certainly pre-configured to use the proxy. If you
look at their settings they'll have the proxy settings in them.

http://www.example.com/wms/ - is (always?) on port 80.

https://www.example.com/wms/ - is port 443

http://www.example.com:8080/wms/ - is port 8080. Any port can be specified
this way and it's how you know you're using port 80 - because otherwise
there would be a number here.

Jonathan

On 15 October 2013 15:09, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:

> On 15-10-13 16:03, Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V. wrote:
> > Hi rob,
> >
> > if your OGC services are starting with http:// QGIS will use :80 as it
> > is the used protocols standard port. There's nothing specific about it.
> > If you can surf the internet QGIS should be able to use http:// based
> > services.
>
> IF you have https://... (mind the S: httpS:// which is 'secure http')
> you will need port 443 open
>
> But as Marco says: most wms servers run on normal http port == 80.
>
> Another thing that comes to mind: maybe you are connecting to geoserver
> instances? Which run in servlet containters, which often run on port 8080
>
> But all this has nothing to do with QGIS :-) it is all just networking
> stuff...
>
> Which brings me to the next hurdle... is the lab using a proxy server?
>
> If so: you need to make it known to QGIS too.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may
contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and
should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or
authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or
disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error
please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us,
including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording
and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.