[Qgis-user] Which font for Delimited Text Layer

Chris Crook ccrook at linz.govt.nz
Thu Sep 5 12:29:30 PDT 2013

Hi Silverio

Depends which version of QGIS you are using.  Version 1.8 does not support longitudes and latitudes entered as degrees, minutes, and seconds.
If you are using the development version 1.9, soon  to be released as 2.0 then it should support this (with your first format).  There is a check box in the delimited text dialog "DMS coordinates" that you can tick to tell QGIS to expect this format.

The format is quite general - basically it is looking for three numbers with something other than numbers between them.  So your first format should work.  Your second won't (nothing between the numbers ) and your third won't either (the "." is ambiguous as it could be part of a decimal number).  As it is written it will take degrees and decimal minutes, or degrees, minutes and decimal seconds - so the last format may get misinterpreted as degrees and decimal minutes.

If you are using 1.9/2.0 with the first format, and it is not working,  could you send me the file and I'll see if I can figure out why

Thanks
Chris

> Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 14:11:46 +0200
> From: silverio abati <chiocciola81 at katamail.com>
> To: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
> Subject: [Qgis-user] Which font for Delimited Text Layer
>
> hello List,
> I have a little problem to import a layer with the function "delimited text
> layer":
>
> I have the coordinates (e.g. 41?44'51'' Lat, 14?18'13'' Long) and I know the
> coordinate reference system: WGS84 UTM33N, EPSG: 32633.
>
> the problem is that I don't know which font I have to use in the database
> (e.g. excel) so QGIS can read them in correct mode (at the end of the import
> process QGIS says me the fields for coordinates are no valid).
>
> I tried:
> 41?44'51''
> 414451
> 41.44.51
> but they don't work
>
> thank you very much
>
> BEST,
> silverio

This message contains information, which is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately (Phone 0800 665 463 or info at linz.govt.nz) and destroy the original message. LINZ accepts no responsibility for changes to this email, or for any attachments, after its transmission from LINZ. Thank You.