[Qgis-user] Which font for Delimited Text Layer

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Fri Sep 6 03:15:10 PDT 2013

> On 09/05/2013 03:11 PM, silverio abati wrote:
>
> hello List,
>
> I have a little problem to import a layer with the function "delimited
> text
> layer":
>

> I have the coordinates (e.g. 41°44'51'' Lat, 14°18'13'' Long) and I know
> the
> coordinate reference system: WGS84 UTM33N, EPSG: 32633.
>

> the problem is that I don't know which font I have to use in the
> database (e.g.
> excel) so QGIS can read them in correct mode (at the end of the import
> process
> QGIS says me the fields for coordinates are no valid).

> Nothing to do with the font. The lon/lat values *must* be in decimal
> degrees: DD.dddddd
> In excel separate the degrees, minutes, seconds into three different
> columns.
> Then, in a fourth column put in the formula: "degree_column +
> (minutes_column/60)
> + (seconds_column/3600). Same for the longitude values.
> Now you must convert those formulas to numbers. Use in Excel "Copy",
> then "Paste
> Special" to copy the formulas to numbers.
>
> Now, when you input the delimited text file, point to those (numeric)
> columns
> that hold the decimal degree values for the X and Y columns, and it
> should work
> fine.

In current master version, soon to be QGIS 2.0, the Delimited Text Layer
Importer has now a "DMS-Coordinates" checkbox behind the x- and y-fields.
With this i already successfully managed to import those horrible
DMS-Coordinates without having to transform them to decimal degrees.

For the import, you then have to choose EPSG 4326 (WGS84), and i can
imagine that you are expected to reproject them afterwards to your EPSG:
32633 (save as and choose other CRS)

> I tried:
>
> 41°44'51''
>
> 414451
>
> 41.44.51
>
> but they don't work
>

> thank you very much
>

> BEST,
>
> silverio

Bernd Vogelgesang * Siedlerstrasse 2 * 91083 Baiersdorf * +49-9133-825374