[Qgis-user] Custom Projection

James David Smith james.david.smith at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 06:26:51 PDT 2013

Hi there,

I'm trying to make a custom project string so that I can view a NetCDF
file in QGIS. I have data about the projection, but am struggling to
make a PROJ string from it that QGIS requires. Could someone help me
please? The fields that I can get from the file are as follows. I am
also informed that it is Lambert Conformal Conic .

P_ALP = 46. ; Double: First map projection descriptive parameter
(dependent on projection type)
P_BET = 46. ; Double: Second map projection descriptive parameter
(dependent on projection type)
P_GAM = 17. ; Double: Third map projection descriptive parameter
(dependent on projection type)
XCENT = 17. ; Double: Longitude for coordinate system center
YCENT = 46. ; Double: Latitude for coordinate system center
XORIG = -1219510. ; X-coordinate for lower-left (southwest) corner of
the grid with respect to (XCENT,YCENT) (dependent on projection type)
YORIG = 706490. ; Y-coordinate for lower-left (southwest) corner of
the grid with respect to (XCENT,YCENT) (dependent on projection type)
XCELL = 20. ; Double: X-coordinate grid cell size (dependent on projection type)
YCELL = 20. ; Double: Y-coordinate grid cell size (dependent on projection type)

Is this enough information to make the projection string?

Thanks

James