[Qgis-user] Downloading GPS data from Garmin etrex vista hcx

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Fri Sep 20 09:25:49 PDT 2013

Am 20.09.2013 11:17, schrieb Santiago Moreno:
> Hello,
> My Garmin etrex vista hcx has no problems transfering waypoints to
> mapsource. However I can´t directly transfer waypoinst to Quantum GIS.
> The Quantum GIS GPS tool is configured as indicated below. I always get
> the message: "The layer . . . is not a valid layer and can not be added
> to the map". I will apreciate any suggestion to solve this problem.
> Santiago
>
> GPS device: Garmin USB
> Port: usb:
> Feature type: waypoints
>
> Comand lines:
>
> %babel -w -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F %out

It works for me with my Garmin etrex Legend Hcx under Windows 7 with:
Port: usb:

and under Settings with the default:
%babel -w -i garmin -o gpx "%in" "%out"

If it does not work, open a command window in your Lisboa installation
path, enter qgis.bat, and then gpsbabel to see if qgis can find gpsbabel.

HTH,
André Joost