[Qgis-user] Downloading GPS data from Garmin etrex vista hcx

Santiago Moreno santiago.moreno at upm.es
Sat Sep 21 15:40:51 PDT 2013

Thank you Andre!
Your suggestion was helpful. Using the default command lines (garmin
serial) and Port: usb: , I was able to communicate my Garmin GPS with Q-GIS.
Regards,
Santiago

Message: 7
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 18:25:49 +0200
From: Andre Joost <andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de>
To: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] Downloading GPS data from Garmin etrex vista
	hcx

Am 20.09.2013 11:17, schrieb Santiago Moreno:
 > Hello,
 > My Garmin etrex vista hcx has no problems transfering waypoints to
 > mapsource. However I can?t directly transfer waypoinst to Quantum GIS.
 > The Quantum GIS GPS tool is configured as indicated below. I always get
 > the message: "The layer . . . is not a valid layer and can not be added
 > to the map". I will apreciate any suggestion to solve this problem.
 > Santiago
 >
 > GPS device: Garmin USB
 > Port: usb:
 > Feature type: waypoints
 >
 > Comand lines:
 >
 > %babel -w -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F %out

It works for me with my Garmin etrex Legend Hcx under Windows 7 with:
Port: usb:

and under Settings with the default:
%babel -w -i garmin -o gpx "%in" "%out"

If it does not work, open a command window in your Lisboa installation
path, enter qgis.bat, and then gpsbabel to see if qgis can find gpsbabel.

HTH,
Andr? Joost