[Qgis-user] Tablet vs GPS accuracy

Michael.Dodd Michael.Dodd at open.ac.uk
Thu Apr 3 06:57:33 PDT 2014

I did a considerable amount of testing comparing conventional gps devices and smartphones and some more advanced gps devices.  All compared to cm level dgps locations.
One factor to consider is that smartphones tend to be mass produced in much larger numbers than separate gps devices so they can potentially have the latest most accurate chips etc.  as far as i recall towers only affect speed of first location not accuracy as the location calculated just from tower is much less accurate than from the gps itself.  I also recall reading somewhere that one or two models of smartphone physically have the technology in them to do 0.5m accuracy but this ability is switched off at the moment.