[Qgis-user] Tablet vs GPS accuracy

Richard McDonnell richard.mcdonnell at opw.ie
Thu Apr 3 08:09:00 PDT 2014

Hi,
It all boils down to the level of accuracy your job requires, Commercial
or Survey Grade GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) now utilises
NRTK (Network Real Time Kinematic) which can produce sub centimetre
accuracies. We have found that the accuracies is often too good, with
our surveys conflicting with Maps. We have seen +-40mm accuracies in the
field, where a stake in the ground is surveyed and the kit can take us
right back to the point days later, to within 40mm. it is worth noting
that Survey grade GPS has a stated accuracy of sub meter without NRTK.
The next step down in accuracies would be GPS enabled Field Computers,
again a dedicated kit but hand held form factor, the Trimble
Geo-Explorer 7 is an example of one of these. They now also have the
ability to utilise NRTK, bringing there accuracies to within 0.5m (or
better).
The issue with phones and tablets is that, unlike dedicated systems, you
have less control over how the coordinates are recorded. They don't take
into account things like multipath (GPS signal bouncing off buildings,
Ground etc.)  The number of satellites (the more the better) Most survey
kits wont record a point with less than 5 satellites.
There is a way to get an idea of the accuracy for your proposed device.
Take several readings over a day (7 or more) of 2 fixed points approx
50m apart,  every day, for a week. Then compare the results. you will
have a spread of points, none of which are likely to be perfect, but
will give you an idea of the accuracies of the device, the spread of the
points being your expected error. A shorter test over a day would yield
similar results but over a week, you would have a more comprehensive
result. I have seen some tests, where accuracies with an i-Phone were
stated as +-3m.
One other thing you should all note when using a phone or similar device
to record your location, Use the native Latitude and Longitude to record
the position, don't use the device to transform the coordinates to some
other CRS. Use a dedicated CRS Transformation tool on a desktop/Laptop
computer to convert to your desired CRS. Handhelds are not suitable for
that purpose.
I hope this helps!!
Regards,

Richard.