[Qgis-user] Atlas: Is there a way to synchronize canvas to atlas preview?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 17:33:01 PDT 2014

On 14/03/2014 12:28 am, "Bernd Vogelgesang" <bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I wonder if there is a way to synchronize the maps canvas with the Atlas
preview (like with the georeferencer where the bitmap gets synced with the
map canvas or vice versa)
> This would be quite handy for adjusting the labelling in case I need to.
Labelling and the adjusting of it for the final layout is by far the most
time-consuming aspect of my hole project. I use the "Layer to labelled
layer"-plugin to store my corrections.

> My workflow right now is to prepare the Atlas coverage and click through
the individual preview items (10% margin), then activate the coverage
attribute table, search for the coverage item, select it, zoom to it,
deactivate the selection, then read the scale for the atlas item and write
it into to canvas scale to have the same representation on the canvas as in
the atlas preview.
> Now I can adjust my labels (drag them to better positions) in the canvas
and can be sure that they will look the same in the Atlas export.

Hi Bernd,

This is a really good idea. I've just added a button to the map item
properties in the composer: "View extent in map canvas". This sets the main
map canvas to match the extent of the current map item. Does this sound
like the kind of thing you are after?

Nyall