[Qgis-user] Point relocation

Michael.Dodd Michael.Dodd at open.ac.uk
Mon Apr 21 03:32:36 PDT 2014

Is it possible to use qgis on smartphone to relocate stored points on a map?
We have a large number of accurately recorded positions (dgps) and want to make them available to a small group of people who just have smartphones.  Preferably there would be a map background to help them locate the positions but certainly need arrows and a way of navigating when approaching close to the position to avoid the location jumping all over the place.  This sounds like a job for one of the geocaching apps or similar but having looked through quite a number of these I have not been able to find anything suitable as they either want you to upload points to a server and make them public (which would not be appropriate in our case) or have specific non standard formats or have other issues e.g. that make it difficult to label our positions appropriately.  I have also tried a few non geocaching apps that claim to find positions e.g. satnav type for car navigation but these generally don't work well to take you to the exact position in the field.  Our original data are in qgis so simply having a plugin that would do this seems a good idea so long as qgis will run on the android smartphone.  The locations are mainly in UK but some are overseas, they use a variety of different coordinate systems but all can be converted to wgs84 lat long.
-- The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).