[Qgis-user] Creating a spatial database: CRS selection

Carlos da Ponte cdaponte at sustainableelements.ca
Fri Apr 25 00:10:17 PDT 2014

I'm setting up a spatial database in MS SQL Server.  Data is in a variety of
CRS.  The intent is to use the entire QGIS suite (desktop, server,
web-client) to view the data and run analysis.  I've set up many databases
in the past but never one that merged data with numerous CRS.

my question is...what is the best practice for choosing a CRS, since QGIS
desktop can do on the fly transformation, but the web client cannot?  Also
we want to be able to conduct spatial analysis within the database with
ease.

Our first thought was to transform all data on import from the original CRS
into WGS84?  is this a good approach?

in addition we want to use an aerial photo service as a background.  any
ideas would be welcome.

Thanks!