[Qgis-user] Can Geoserver use the legends of a QGIS project like qgis server

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Apr 25 01:41:10 PDT 2014

Hi Carlos,

QGIS Server is also mature already. I don't think performance of
Geoserver is much better than QGIS server in real-world scenarios.

At some point you would need multiple servers and load balancing no
matter what mapserver you use.

I would rather try with QGIS server first and see if it is up to the
job. If it isn't one can either improve QGIS server or change to Geoserver.

I don't think legends and print templates from QGIS can be re-used in
Geoserver. There is the SLD-bridge, but it is not perfect and limited.

I understand that Boundless is working on integration of QGIS and
Geoserver - not really sure how well this works already.

If I were you, I would give QGIS server a chance and try it first. It is
important for the development of QGIS that we get feedback from larger
rollouts.

One thing I would avoid is cascading OWS (WMS/WFS) services. It is
better to re-use

There are several provinces/cities using QGIS server in Switzerland,
including our own city administration. There is always room for
improvements, but all in all it is very satisfying, stable and
performance in general good. One room for improvement I can see is a
more persistant and shared layer/project cache, which would speed up
project loading time. Currently, each FCGI instance has it's own cache.

Andreas