[Qgis-user] 'NULL' labels

Olivier Dalang olivier.dalang at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 05:41:54 PDT 2014

Are you sure the change is worth it ?
It's true that it's more consistent, but still, 99% of the time, the user
doesn't want to see "NULL" all over the map.
The coalesce expression isn't easy to find out for beginners neither.

For me it's a -1 unless we have an easy way to hide null values (maybe a
checkbox somewhere in the labeling settings to toggle display of null
values, but this is a bit a duplicate of the data defined "show label", or
maybe having coalesce as the expression by default, but this feels a bit
wrong too).

Also I'm not sure it's correct to display the NULL string on the map, as
it's an user-defined option. This means that a same project file could be
displayed differently on different setups...

Best,

Olivier